Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

I am so glad I took this picture. I took it last year. My dad took our family to a Cabin in Colorado for a week and Gracie fell in love with the piano there. We already knew she loved music. Its in her blood. I love music. My dad loves music and so did his dad. It is something that connects our souls to each other.
Well, when my sisters and I were little, we would sing the song Daddy's Hands at the top of our lungs. I don't know if we ever sounded good, but my dad always listened when we sang. We would stand on the hearth of the fireplace and act like it was our stage. We never had to beg him to be our audience, he was always there when we were singing.
Anyways, I am glad I took the picture. Not only because it is my dad playing the piano with my sweet Gracie, but because it is a picture of his hands. I love his hands. These hands held me when I was a baby. These hands held mine when he would walk me and my sisters to Sunday school. These hands wrapped around mine, when I was little, while he showed me how to hold a bat. These Hands taught me how to throw a softball, and took a beating as I grew older,stronger, and threw harder. He never complained, he was proud of the pain and would play catch with me for hours. These are the hands that held mine as he walked me down the isle and now, these same hands have held my tiny baby. I love his hands.
My dad's hands have carried me through my life, more than just working day and night to provide for my family. These hands have shielded and protected me from so much. They have been my stability, the source of my strength, and comfort threw lots of heartbreak. They worked to send me to private school, then college. I hope that my hands will, one day, do all this for my family. Thank you so much daddy! Happy father's Day!

3 comments:

katy said...

love love this picture and blog! you are so good with words and thats an amazing picture! i know that you and gracie will cherish it forever! love yall

Unknown said...

OMG! SARAH, I couldn't have said it better myself!! I just sat here and cried while Katy is leaning over my shoulder saying, "isn't she right!? she hit the hammer on the nail!!" Which of course then made me laugh because she can never get any of her expressions right, and only makes it funnier!! Yes, yes you did hit the hammer on the nail - we have a wonderful daddy and I feel the same way about his hands too.

Casey Davison said...

What a neat picture. You will love it.

And you do have a good daddy!!! Don't ever forget it! Appreciate it while you can!!!