Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Preparing for Valentine's Day

Today, We (Joey, Gracie, and I) went shopping to for Gracie's Valentine's Day Party at school. I was on the hunt for special little treats to put in gift bags for the kiddos in Gracie's class. This is always a task since I want to fill their bags with healthy goodies that anyone under the age of 2 won't choke on. I also must keep in mind the endless allergies that plague a few of the littles at MDO (Mother's Day Out). I also had to find special gifts for the lovely ladies that teach Gracie's class. I know it isn't necessary to bring a gift on every holiday, but I want Gracie's teachers to know that I love them and appreciate everything they do for the children in MDO. So, I always try to get them something special.
After returning home with our Valentine's Day loot, Mommy (that's me) made pooch pops! I was very nervous to make them, but I think they are cute!! For all of you who don't know, I am awful when it comes to baking! But, If I don't say so myself, I think I found a treat that even I can bake.

I found the recipe in Parent's Magazine. Here it is for those of you who would like to bake your little Valentine something special:

Ingredients
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 roll (16 ounces) refrigerated sugar-cookie dough
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
8 lollipop sticks (about 6 inches)
2 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
1 tube vanilla decorating frosting
24 brown and/or red M&M's
Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. Knead flour into cookie dough until smooth. Divide dough in half. Knead cocoa powder into one half until smooth.
2. Roll out vanilla and chocolate cookie doughs until they're barely 1/4-inch thick. Cut out 8 hearts from each using a 3-inch cookie cutter. Place the vanilla hearts about 3 inches apart on cookie sheet. Insert a lollipop stick into each heart shape. Slice the chocolate hearts in half lengthwise. Place on either side of vanilla hearts as the ears. Press 6 mini chocolate chips, pointed side down, on each of the vanilla hearts as shown. Bake until just golden, 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and let cool completely
3. Pipe 3 dots of frosting on the cookie, as shown, and attach M&M's for nose and eyes. Tie a ribbon on the lollipop stick, if desired.

1 comment:

Gillie said...

Great job on the cookies!!!!
xx